The Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018 is one of the most awaited major annual tourist attractions of the Philippines.
Held in October of every year in the city of Bacolod, also known as the City of Smiles, the festival is the local’s way of celebrating triumph over tragedies, crisis and hardships. Masks adorned with smiling faces represent Negrenses’ resilience and positivity.
Planning to enjoy the Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018 this October? Here’s everything you need to know about the festivity.
Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018 Overview
The street dancing competition is one of the highlights of the Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018. Participants from various barangays don colorful costumes and smiling masks while dancing to the beat of Latin music.
Another most awaited event of the festival is the Electric Masskara. This is also a street dancing competition but this time featuring more elaborate and colorful masks adorned with neon and LED lights.
In addition to the highlights, other exciting festival events to look forward to
Masskara Festival 2018 Schedule
Like usual, the Masskara Festival highlights will be on the fourth Sunday of the month (October 28, 2018).
At a glance, here’s the Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018 schedule of activities and events:
- October 8: Masskara Festival Opening
- October 26: Electric MassKara Performing Floats Competition
- October 27: Street Dance and Arena Competitions (School Category)
Electric Masskara Performing Floats Competition
- October 28: Street Dance and Arena Competitions (Barangay Category)
Travel Tips for First Timers
In order to fully enjoy your stay in Bacolod during the Masskara festival, here are some travel tips to keep in mind especially for first-time visitors:
- Wear something comfy – First thing you need to know, there’s going to be plenty of walking so make sure you don’t sacrifice comfort for fashion.
- Prepare for the weather – October can still be pretty rainy in Bacolod. So, make sure to check the weather forecast so you’ll know whether to bring an umbrella, sunblock or both.
- Book your accommodation as early as possible – Bacolod hotels and pension houses are usually fully booked during the festival so it’s best to book your Bacolod accommodation as early as possible.
Best Budget Bacolod Hotels
Booking your Bacolod hotel early is one of the surest ways to save money on your Masskara festival trip.
If you’re looking for the best budget Bacolod hotels, then here are our top recommendations:
How to Get to Bacolod City
The city of Bacolod is a quick one-hour plane ride away from Manila. And there are plenty of direct flights to Bacolod coming from Manila and some other major cities in the Philippines like Cebu, Davao and Iloilo.
Once you get to the airport, you can take a taxi going to your hotel in the city
If you’re coming from Iloilo then RORO is the cheapest way to go. There are RORO vessels from Dumangas going to Bacolod. You can also travel to Bacolod by bus coming from Cebu.
Ready for your first Masskara Festival?
If you’re excited to experience your first Bacolod Masskara Festival 2018, then you’d better start planning for your Bacolod itinerary now.
Start by booking your flights and hotels as early as possible to save money. Now, pick your outfits and prepare to have a whole lot of fun.